I'm just a man seeking God's face...

Sunday, February 15, 2009

DYC...The Grotto

Saturday was a good day. Each of us went to two different seminars and then we went to The Grotto (http://www.thegrotto.org/). We spent two and a half hours of by ourselves trying to reflect on what God is doing in and around us. I could blog about this but it would take me a few days to complete it.


I was struck by the upper level. I noticed a theme of sorrow and joy. I think we here in America don't like to even acknowledge sorrow as a part of life. We could be having the worst day in the history of days when someone comes up and asks, "How's it going?" Without batting an eye we respond, "I good," or, "I'm fine." I understand that life is not all gloom and doom, but seriously there are plenty of times when sorrow is more a part of our life than we would even consider letting out of the bag. I think the movie Princess Bride summed it up best, "Life is pain, princess!"

But I believe in a God that doesn't leave us there. He has offered us joy. This is not happiness nor is it an emotional band aid. Joy allows us to mourn the loss of a loved one, the loss of a job or the loss of a dream. Joy tells us that God is sovereign, that He is in control no matter the circumstances.

When God is in control (which we need to give over that control) I am able to focus on today and the moment that is at hand. For this is the only guarantee we have in this physical world, the next moment is not a for sure thing. And without joy, I can worry myself about everything around me and it won't change anything. When I can focus on this day, this moment I can listen and watch what God is doing around me.

Maybe he has placed a single mom who is struggling to stay on her feet in this moment, maybe it's a strange teenager who has no one to turn to who is placed into this moment, maybe it's a need of my wife that is placed into this moment or maybe it's my kids who need an encouraging word from their earthly father that is placed into this moment. If we don't have joy, we can so easily miss these moments.

When I surrender my control and let joy reign the moments become real, they become holy. Yes, God can show up at work, in our homes and our relationships.

Sorrow and joy are part of a godly life. They are real life, they are who we are. They are mysterious in the fulfilling of our lives. Let's embrace the mystery and offer our control so that joy can reign in our lives and into this world.

Blessings,
Pastor Scott

No comments: