I'm just a man seeking God's face...

Friday, September 14, 2007

Epiphany!

Taynyn asked the question of an epiphany that any ones has had. I have had a few so called epiphanies in my life time. I have had a hard time trying to figure out which one to write about. Do I talk about a time I had to break up with a girl? No, but I have learned many lessons from the different relationships I've had. I could talk about the epiphany I had before deciding to get back into full time ministry. No, I've shared that fairly recently.

I have been thinking of the time I told my parents that I wanted to be a youth pastor. Many of you may remember that I was not raised in a christian home. I first shared with my parents of my desire to be a pastor when I was eighteen. I felt God had gifted me in many ways to be a pastor and that He was leading me down that path. My parents voiced their concerns about me studying an area that was so limiting. They would ask,"What happens if you study to be a pastor and then never become one?" They felt I should study something that could get me along in the "Real World".

I tried to follow my parents desire, so I entered college to become a history teacher. I enjoy history and this gave me the idea of teaching history, coaching football and/or baseball, and being a Young Life leader. Before long I knew something wasn't right. I felt God calling me towards full time ministry. What would my parents think, would they support my decision? These were questions I struggled with. I wanted to follow God, but I also was very afraid of separating myself from my parents love and support.

I went for it and told them I wanted to be a pastor. I was prepared for an all out, no holds bard arguments. That never happened. They listened and didn't say a whole lot. I think they realized I wasn't going to be steered a different direction.

Life was never the same from that point on. I knew that where I lived, who my friends were going to be, who my family was going to be was now in God's hands. I learned that if you steer from what you feel God calling you He may not shut the door permanently. We serve a God of redemption and restoration. And thank goodness for that.

Feel free to share some of your epiphanies.

In Christ,
Pastor Scott

No comments: